Tags: attorney, damm, jan, law, lawyer, legal, pulled, speed, state, statega, traffic, trap, trooper

Ga. Speed Trap

On Lawyer & Legal » Traffic Law

3,986 words with 11 Comments; publish: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 06:45:00 GMT; (80046.88, « »)

The state is: Ga. I got pulled over in Jan. Ga. State Trooper said I was going 79 in a 55. I know damm well I was not going that fast I just put a brand new engine in the truck and I am still breaking it in. The cruise control was set at 54. The thing is I was in a line of traffic so how can the say it was me that they clocked. Also while I was pulled over two more trucks got pulled over in front of me. Well yesterday I drove up to where I got pulled over and don't you know there was a car pulled over in the same spot that I got pulled over. My question is can I fight this ticket because I was in a line of traffic when I got pulled over and this area is a speed trap? Or should I just bend over and grap my ankles !

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 11 Comments
    • I would bet you the OP is going to say "I-85 around Macon or Valdosta"

That area is a haven for Georgia State Patrol.

Good luck fighting it in court, all law enforcment using radar are certified in its use, and traffic court in the county you received the ticket will probably do no more than reduce the speed; if s/he sees fit.

#1; Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:32:00 GMT
    • Or should I just bend over and grap my ankles

Grap

#2; Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:25:00 GMT
    • The judge may be more sympathetic if there was a mechanical problem although they do not have to consider it.

But, if you confess to driving an automobile with defective equipment, you might get a ticket for that! I've seen it happen....

#3; Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:06:00 GMT
    • I am assuming that it was the same trooper. But you know what they say when you AssUMe! There was two troopers that night the second trooper pulled up after I had given the first trooper my info. The second trooper did not get out of their car. That was the one that went after the two other trucks that got pulled over. I was traveling north bound and the trooper that pulled me over was going south he turned around and came after me. It was late and it was a windy night. Like I said I know for a fact I was not speeding. Oh well it's my word against the trooper.
      #4; Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:03:00 GMT
    • I had a local cop radar my truck and there is nothing wrong with my cruise control or my speedometer. I Know for a fact I was not speeding. Like I said I am still breaking in a brand new engine and I could blow it up if I was speeding. I am not going to chance throwing away $1,600.00 for another new engine. Oh well I will just get a big tube of "KY Jelly" and bend over and grab my ankles. Being in Georgia is like having a really bad nightmare over and over again! Also I was in a line of traffic how was I picked out of the whole line there was like 10 other people a few in front of me and a few in back and it was dark. So how in the world can they say that it was my truck? A few minutes after they pulled me over they pulled two other trucks over. I'm guessing it was ticket night for trucks.
      #5; Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:25:00 GMT
    • He probably got you with laser. Give us an idea where this took place.
      #6; Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:26:00 GMT
    • The Georgia speed trap laws do not apply to the state troopers, only to local officers. You might want to get your cruise control and speedometer checked.

Hard to believe that you actually thought your were doing 54.

If you show for court they will normally reduce the speed by three or four mph. You need to get it down to a 69 in a 55 so it will not show on your MVR.

#7; Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:47:00 GMT
    • Quote:
      === Original Words ===

I guess I will be taking some KY Jelly with me when I go to court.
      I thought you said this was GA?
      #8; Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:10:00 GMT
    • Are you a CDL driver?
      #9; Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:12:00 GMT
    • No I do not have a CDL. State Trooper said that they used radar. I guess I will be taking some KY Jelly with me when I go to court. All I have to say is be careful going from Augusta to the Savannah area.
      #10; Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:32:00 GMT
    • Was the officer who pulled you over also running the radar? You said it was dark, now you might have a case. Line of site, identification issues, etc.
      #11; Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:16:00 GMT